- What is Botulinum toxin A and how does it work?
- Is Botulinum toxin A safe?
- How does Botulinum toxin A work?
- What happens during treatment?
- Are there any side effects?
- When will it start to work?
- How long will treatment last?
- Will my lines look worse if I do not continue my treatment?
- In summary, Botulinum toxin A…
What is Botulinum toxin A and how does it work?
Botulinum toxin A is a natural purified protein that relaxes muscles – causing lines and wrinkles to be smoothed and create a rejuvenated appearance.
When injected into the muscle it temporarily blocks the chemical signals that make the muscle contract. Only minute quantities of Botulinum toxin A are injected with only the injected muscle being affected.
Is Botulinum toxin A safe?
The Botulinum toxin A Romsey Medical Aesthetics uses has an excellent safety profile. It is used in a variety of therapeutic areas and is one of the few treatments that can be used to treat children over 2 years of age to treat cerebral palsy.
Botulinum toxin A has been used for over 10 years in tens and thousands of patients worldwide. It has US FDA and European license approval.
How does Botulinum toxin A work?
A tiny amount is injected into the hyperactive muscles. These repeated contractions cause the skin to fracture. Fine lines start to appear. Botulinum toxin A blocks the nerve impulse from reaching these muscles. The muscle simply relaxes. This relaxation enables the skin to relax and heal and the lines smooth away.
What happens during treatment?
It only takes approximately ten minutes. We will ask you to frown or smile to assess your muscle movement. Then determine the injection site to achieve the best results for you. Botulinum toxin A is administered by several tiny injections and feels like a pinprick, no anaesthetic is required and you can return to work or day-to-day activities immediately.
Are there any side effects?
If they do occur, they are:
- Mild to moderate
- Most common are slight bruising from the injection
- A detailed list of side effects can be obtained at your consultation
When will it start to work?
From day 2 in some patients through to 14 days to see the full effect.
How long will treatment last?
Results can last from 3 to 4 months following initial treatment. Subsequent treatments can last much longer. This does vary from person to person.
Will my lines look worse if I do not continue my treatment?
Should you discontinue treatment, your lines will gradually revert to their pre-treatment appearance.
In summary, Botulinum toxin A…?
- Is simple
- Is non-surgical
- Smooth’s out lines
- Takes approximately 10 minutes
- Involves a few tiny pin prick injections
- Relaxes the overactive muscle, reducing lines and wrinkles
- Results are visible with days/weeks
- Lasts 3 to 4 months or longer